Total Pageviews

Wednesday 2 March 2011

The Adjustable Blackfordby Round taking in Woodville and Boundary

Date:  2nd March 2011
Distance:  5 miles

I finished work at lunchtime today and the sun was shining so it was a perfect time to do a walk.  I'm increasing the mileage this week as the muscles are warming up and time is marching on. 

I wasn't sure which route I was going to do so it was quite exciting leaving the house without a plan.  The weather was cold with a light breeze but the sunshine was lovely and there was a promise of spring in the air.  I tramped across the fields to the hamlet of Boothorpe and instead of veering off along Boothorpe Lane I went directly into the hamlet.  It's a pretty little place with an old hall, a farm and a few cottages - a bit tatty round the edges but all the better for it.  Next it was a walk along an old path once used by miners on their way to the pits at Rawdon, Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe.  This path skirts the most enormous hole in the ground which was created by the local clayworks .  The clay from this area makes particularly good drains.  Not the most glamorous of products but, I think you will agree, one of life's essential items. The hole is now being rapidly filled in with rubbish from exotic locations such as Birmingham.

The path became very muddy as I progressed across the fields towards Woodville.  Clay was much in evidence and now my trainers are full of the stuff.  This section of path has scared me in the past.  I once came across a dead, bloated cow next to the path and had to steel myself to walk by it.  I avoided that route for quite a while. This whole area is a mixed bag of farmland, derelict factories, new housing estates, new recreational footpaths and lovely old Victorian houses and terraces.  The derelict factories and wastelands are gradually disappearing as the builders move in to "create desirable residences over three floors."  A bit of road walking next along the A511 to Boundary.  The footpath was narrow and the juggernauts hurtled past blowing dust and fumes into my face.  It wasn't pleasant but there are some interesting house along this road and some enticing side streets to explore . The A511 is up on a ridge and once you leave the main road the land rapidly drops away to reveal fantastic views over the surrounding countryside.  It's surprising how quiet it becomes as soon as you leave the hurly burly of the super highway.  There is a lovely distance marker which I'm sure the car and lorry drivers never notice and there are some beautiful gardens with snowdrops and crocuses - plenty to delight the eye and blot out the noise and pollution.

I then took a right turn onto Heath Lane which turns into Blackfordby Lane.  At once peace descends and I can enjoy the views towards Blackfordby church in the foreground and then, in the far distance, the hills beyond Tamworth.  I took the path which skirts round the back of the church, past a lovely thatched cottage with pretty gardens and then down Strawberry Lane past the hedge train and from there it's the usual toddle along Blackfordby Lane to home.

The miners' footpath

The view towards Hartshorne

The busy A511

The milestone

The view towards Blackfordby

...with short tempers

The thatched cottage

The hedge train


No comments:

Post a Comment